In advance of Sri Lanka’s presidential election on January 26, we’ve issued a 10-point Human Rights Agenda.
We’re asking that all presidential candidates commit to the following points, among others:
- ending arbitrary arrests under emergency laws
- ensuring protection and respects for the rights of civilians displaced by the recent conflict
- protecting freedom of expression
- ending torture and enforced disappearances
- ratifying international human rights treaties
This is the first national election in Sri Lanka since the war with the opposition Tamil Tigers ended last May. It could be the start of a new era in Sri Lanka. Would it be too much to hope for, that the presidential candidates grasp this opportunity to improve the protection of human rights for millions of people in Sri Lanka? We’ll see.